"... TO GIVE UNTO THEM BEAUTY FOR ASHES, THE OIL OF JOY FOR MOURNING, THE GARMENT OF PRAISE FOR THE SPIRIT OF HEAVINESS; THAT THEY MIGHT BE CALLED TREES OF RIGHTEOUSNESS,THE PLANTING OF THE LORD, THAT HE MIGHT BE GLORIFIED." ISAIAH 61:3

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

My Air Conditioned Soapbox

*You should know before you read - this started off as a simple statement about a comment I received. What it became was a full on rant about negative comments that I, my stay-at-home friends, and even my mother have received over the years! I just had to let it out.




Judge not, lest ye be popped right in the kisser judged!

Up-ity.
Livin' above their raisin'.
High Maintenance.

I've heard these phrases all my life in general conversation. Most of the time it was directed at others. But recently, I had one aimed at me.
Now, I'm sure the person who said it meant no harm. Just making a passing comment. Heaven only  knows how many times other stay-at-home moms have heard it. But I've seen the hurt that these carelessly dropped words can cause. And the more I thought about it the more it set. me. off!

"It must be nice to stay at home and not have to work."

Excuse me? Crazy bitter lady say what?!?

She didn't stutter. My ears weren't flapping.
She must have said it.

"It must be nice to stay at home and not have to work."

Well you know what sister? It is nice!
It's nice not to have to punch a clock! It's nice to be home with my kids! It's nice to set my own schedule!
But don't you dare say I don't work!
I run a house, manage finances, home school two girls ...

I haven't always been able to stay home, you know.
I've never run from a hard days work, and I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty!
I've had some of the nastiest jobs ever, and was thankful for the work! From hospitals to clinics, day cares to nursing homes (same job, bigger diapers).

And Joey? He's going on 15 years in the army!
Honduras, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq - need I say more?

We've sacrificed and gone without because we knew what we wanted.
The hardships then are paying off now.

And now you come along and see us enjoying a few creature comforts and presume to know all about us?!
Where were you when we were using cardboard boxes for end tables?
Where were you when we were using lawn chairs at the dinner table?
Where were you when we were eating hamburger helper five nights a week to save money?
And when I was walking a quarter mile to use the pay phone - toting a toddler and 8 months preggers to boot - where was your "It must be nice ..." then?
Washing clothes in the tub, cutting my own hair, don't make me go on!
Just because I don't leave the house from 9 to 5 doesn't mean I don't work!

And on another verse of this same in-your-face song, If you want to prove something to yourself by living like it's 1811, well that's your crazy prerogative.
I choose to embrace 2011 and all the God given technology that comes with it, thank you very much!

1) Yes, I have an iPhone and I love it! I even gave it a name - Gigi. She goes with me everywhere and I use her every chance I get! I also have an iPad. An unexpected gift from my sweet hubby and girls.
Really gettin' to big for my britches now, ain't I?!

2) If I hear one more person tell me that 'air conditioning makes you weak', I'm gonna scream! Listen sweetness, glistening with sweat is only sexy if you're Fabio on the cover of a Harlequin. Otherwise, it's just nasty! And I won't even mention the stank!

3) Another "it must be nice ..." inducer -
family vacations!
I don't even know what to say here. We save, we plan, we go. We have a fantastic time together, so quit trying to make us feel guilty with the snide remarks!



The long and the short of it is this; 
we have much according to some, very little according to others, and all of it is the Lord's.

In His time, He provides us with what we need and blesses us with little extras.
And I am happy. And content. And at peace.

And frankly, it's none of your business anyway! So move it along - you're harshing my mellow!

3 comments:

  1. Amen. Preach it, sister!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl! I agree with you on so many points I don't know where to begin! I stayed home with four kids, and quite honestly, it would have been easier to go to work. And I live in Canada where it's not always very hot, but guess what, my husband and I keep our air conditioner working because we don't like having the windows open because the noise of the vehicles outside bother us...how's that for creature comforts! It's so easy to judge. I agree with your comment: judge not lest you be popped right in the kisser! Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete