"... TO GIVE UNTO THEM BEAUTY FOR ASHES, THE OIL OF JOY FOR MOURNING, THE GARMENT OF PRAISE FOR THE SPIRIT OF HEAVINESS; THAT THEY MIGHT BE CALLED TREES OF RIGHTEOUSNESS,THE PLANTING OF THE LORD, THAT HE MIGHT BE GLORIFIED." ISAIAH 61:3

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

"You are my wife. Good-bye city life!!!"

Ok. So it's not exactly 'Green Acres'. We don't have a pot bellied pig running around the house. (Although the prices for them were listed in our community paper;)
Still, it is the country, and there's a lot to get used to.

Critters - We are absolutely overrun with wolf spiders and those annoying little centipedes. There not dangerous, I know, but is there anything more unnerving than finding a spider an inch from your head while you're showering? Or feeling the floor crunch when you go to the bathroom in the middle of the night? When we asked what was good to get rid of them, we were told "Jus' spread a little sebn dust. At'll do it." Seriously? Is that stuff even legal anymore? Guess I'll have to check my black market connections.

Cell Phones - We fell in love with this house the moment we saw it. We couldn't sign the papers fast enough! But sign we did, and then tried to call the parental units to give them the good news. NO SIGNAL! Not one lousy little bar! Now that can really hurt a girl. I LOVE my cell. It's my life-line, my 'binky'.
Here, though, it's a pretty polka-dot covered paper weight. (sigh, sniffle)

Internet - Cable, DSL, Ethernet. As I've said before this is all hubbies area. All I know is when I sit down at the computer and click on the 'e', the world should be at my fingertips! But nay, nay. I don't try to understand my man's cable lingo, I just know that whatever high-speed we've had in the past is unavailable out here. The Internet works on the desktop and is almost as fast as before, but a wire had to run from the girls room, down the hall and into the office to make this possible. Tenacious "J" is still working on the laptop.

Shopping - Hattiesburg has a lot of great shops, but it's 20 minutes minimum to town! There's nothing between here and there except a BP (future remains to be seen), and a tiny Louisiana restaurant (great shrimp and alligator) owned by one of our semi-close neighbors. We've been so spoiled in the past. Since joining the the military, the smallest town we were in had a population of 120,000. The largest was a little over 1.3 million. We could find anything we wanted at pretty much anytime. Spoiled.
Now we'll probably head to town once a week. And no more of this "Oops, I forgot" business. That's a long way to drive for a gallon of milk!

Local channels - NONE, NADA, El ZIPPO!! We've had DirecTV for years and have always been happy, but something about not having a local connection, or a station in Hattiesburg to relay, or yada, yada, yada, blah, blah, blah. Honestly I kinda blacked out a little when he said no locals, so I missed all the details. No CSI's, no Glee, no nothing! Guess I'll have to watch them online.
"Hey, Honey! How's the laptop Internet coming?"

In spite of all these little inconveniences, and they really are little, I LOVE this house. It's beautiful, barely six years old, has an acre and a half yard and all the privacy a gal could want. The girls have room for the pool and the trampoline. They have a basketball goal out front and a safe loop to ride their bikes. Joey has a deck to fit all his grills, and I have a jacuzzi tub with enough jets to scare the ache out of any ones back!

God is good. God is faithful. He gives us what we need, then adds the icing just to prove He can.

Moving takes a toll. Especially when it's not your choice. The military is not the easiest way of life. But I've always been proud that we're a part of it. I'm proud of what my husband has accomplished, for his family and his country. He's a loving husband, wonderful father and dependable provider.

Thanks for the new digs, babe. I love you!!

4 comments:

  1. Well, ya know, you can take the girl our of the country, but you can't take the country our of the girl. All your past learnins' will come back to ya. SEE YA IN A FEW DAYS!

    PADDY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are settling in just fine...except for the spiders. My hubby would have to just do something about that, 'cause this gal can't stand them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an adventure! That's another good thing about being in the military...lots of adventures...each one different from the next!

    Just saw your Dad and Mom at the last night of VBS. Enjoy your visit with them!

    Love you all!!!
    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angie,
    Here's hoping that "contrey" livin' ul grow on yew reel gud! I jes no thet when yer pa (Rusty Nail) gets thar, heel be in "hog-scall" heaven. Giv hem a "hidee ho" frum hiz broco Bent Nail.

    Best of all to all of you,
    Jim-Dad

    ReplyDelete