"... TO GIVE UNTO THEM BEAUTY FOR ASHES, THE OIL OF JOY FOR MOURNING, THE GARMENT OF PRAISE FOR THE SPIRIT OF HEAVINESS; THAT THEY MIGHT BE CALLED TREES OF RIGHTEOUSNESS,THE PLANTING OF THE LORD, THAT HE MIGHT BE GLORIFIED." ISAIAH 61:3

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Tenacious "J"

Webster's defines the word 'tenacious' as Stubbornly unyielding; doggedly persistent; "dour determination". I just call it "Joey"!


My husband's 'sticktoitivness' (that's the Arkansas definition) simply amazes me. There's just not much he can't do once he puts his mind to it. I could give you example after example, but for the sake of time let's just talk about the universal remote.


First of all, let me just say that the 'quality control' people who manufacture these things obviously do NOT add children into their equations! We have family night every Friday, and my remotes have a smorgasbord of food stains to prove it! I'm sure if a crack C.S.I. team checked it out, they'd find everything from ketchup to egg drop soup on those buttons.


exhibit "A": Luau night





Anyway, our remote quit. I trotted off to Wally-World and picked up another that promised to work with any brand we might have. Now here's where that stubborn nature comes in handy. You have to program these things with number codes so they will send the right signal. Sounds easy enough. Yeah.


Push this button until those lights blink twice then stay on. Push that button for the control you want. The lights blink once then enter your brand code. Then push this other button to see if it works. Pat your head, rub your tummy. Right foot in, left foot out. Didn't work? Start over! Blah, blah, blah, yadda, yadda, yadda.


OK, so after an hour of trying, I finally got it. Sort of. I could change the channels if I pushed the fast-forward button. The channel button controlled the volume. The volume button would fast forward your movie. Not perfect I know. But you know me! Look for the silver lining!
"Mom! How do I change the channels? My show is coming on."
"What's it worth to you, kiddo? I've got dishes that could use washing!"
Voila! Silver lining!

Enter the hero! As you know from my previous post, we were all pretty much out of it when Joey got home. But that man of mine is awesome! He recovered in record time, and my two month 'Honey-do' list was finished in a day - including the remote (which took him about five minutes by the way)! It now correctly controls the T.V., satellite, DVD, surround sound, and I think he threw the toaster in there just to prove he could!


Joey has fixed cars, computers, bicycles, dishwashers, even changed a light bulb or two! He can work eight hours straight on a project with no success and still not give up. Now all this determination should not be confused with patience, but I digress.


Just want to shout out a big 'Thank You' today to my hubby, and to the loving God who gave him to me! You improve my life just by being in it. The remote is just a bonus:)


Love you Tenacious "J"!

6 comments:

  1. Hey, glad to see you are giving recognition where it is deserved. Joey, you know, is one of my species. But alas, He has gifts I can only dream of, and Marie can only pine for. Oh well, if things were perfect....

    Paddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, um..can I borrow Joey for a little while? My satellite box is messing up, and I'm sure there are other things around here that could use a tenacious hand. LOL
    You got a winner there, girl!

    JoAnn (Bryant) Wilkinson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, man! If I only had a tidbit of Joey's tenacity! Seems I can't stay with anything more than 2 minutes these days, then I'm on to the next thing....which I will leave undone also.

    So thankful to hear your are all feeling better.
    Love the pictures of your girls.
    They are cuties!!!

    Your Cousin,
    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love handy husbands.

    My house would be in shambles without my own Tenacious Sticktoiterite.

    And look at your Q.T.Pie girls. Precious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am electronically challenged. God knew i needed my hubby and my son. :) Sad when an 11 year old knows more than his momma.

    Cute post. Sorry I was so long commenting, but I was out of pocket.

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ang,
    I'm finaly on board and managed to read up on all your past blogs. I loved your 20s on army life-wife stuff! It's good that you've got a proverbial handle on it.

    Now, down to brass tacks! I'm really into what you've described as Joey's giftedness. Do you write his orders when it comes to TEMP-DUTY! I need him transferred to my office and pc for a major cleanup action in the field. My skills at this electronic gadgetry are fast losing their ground and the war continues.

    Just sayin' - Well, we are looking forward to seeing you all when you're here.

    Jim-Dad

    ReplyDelete